Thursday, September 3, 2009

Target or Walmart? The choice is clear.

image

I’ve always had a bit of a problem with Walmart.  That doesn’t mean I never shop there.  Unfortunately, their low prices on certain items keep pulling me back, although when possible, I’ll go to Target over Walmart ANY day of the week.  (And as most Target lovers would agree, it would be easy to go to Target EVERY day of the week!)

I can’t always put into words why I have such a dislike for Walmart.  Usually I think it is very important to follow your gut.  The one time I don’t abide by this is when I walk into Walmart.  Every time I walk in there, I get this pit in my stomach that I just can’t explain.  If I was anywhere else, I’d think, “Hmmmm.  Something’s not right here.  I should probably leave.”  Now I’ve just come to expect this feeling as I walk in the door searching for more prices that have been “rolled back.”  In Target, I leisurely walk through the aisles, looking at fun new plates or cute pillows, that I don’t need and probably won’t buy, but yet I still linger and look.  In Walmart, I grab what I need as fast as I can and get the heck out of there.  Usually while I’m doing my supermarket sweep, I see some interaction between an adult and a child that  I really wish I hadn’t witnessed.  Then today, Patrick sent me a link to an article about a Walmart assault.  This is just horrifying.  And of course I like to think that something like this would NEVER happen at my beloved Target!

(Okay, so after I finished this post, I was looking for a fun graphic to attach, and lo and behold, I came across an article by someone who feels exactly the same way I do.  He said everything I wanted to say but didn’t for fear of being sued!)

10 comments:

Erin said...

i HATE walmart. but, yes, i still shop there and i dislike every minute of it. there is just something unhappy and dirty feeling about the place.

okay... i am shocked by the story of the man slapping the child but what was the mother doing?? after the threat/warning he gave i would start wailing on the man before he got anywhere NEAR my child let alone assaulting him/her!

It's Been a Day! said...

I love Target - however, I love walmart. I have the best walmart. It's brand new. smells good. very clean. well stocked. and you can go there anytime of the day on anyday of the week and it's empty! It's the best. Shopping at my walmart would convert you to being a walmart shopper - however, I can't guarantee that if I ever moved away from here, i would continue to shop at walmart if it wasn't like mine.

but, here's a really good blog for you to enjoy. now you have to shop a walmart so you can contribute to this. http://peopleofwalmart.com/

Felice Devine said...

I love Target, too. And can't stand Wal-mart. I've had some bad experiences there and always say I am NEVER going back. I usually end up stopping there when I realize I am out of something when in that part of town and don't feel like driving all the way to the grocery store.

That assault story is AWFUL!

Nicole said...

I feel the same way. I try to do my grocery shopping there because they have lower prices, but I always have to make a second stop if I do. Without fail there is something I need that they don't carry/have. If it wasn't for there low prices I wouldn't ever go there.

Unknown said...

That is a crazy sad story! Wow. Freaky. I tries the other link of the post the other person did but it wouldnt work.

I love target!!! This is where I go, if not Ikea, for a home need that is simple and not a big deal. I rarely go to Walmart. The past few times I have gone have been random trips maybe once every 2 months, for a really cheap need for a church activity.

My hubby also refuses walmart. We love target and enjoy going as a family to browse if we just want to get out for a few minutes. I love that I can expect clean carts, clean bathrooms, wide aisles, and super cute stuff that always makes a girl smile and not too much junk I see fill walmarts luring you to buy random crap you don't need.

merathon said...

jenn-lee-- i just tried that link and it wouldn't work for me today either, but it worked when i posted it yesterday! the only way i got that page to open is this: go to www.steve-olson.com and then type in the word walmart in the search box at the top of the page. it will pull up a couple entries, so just scroll down to the second entry and that's the link i was referring to!

Mirien said...

Lucky for me we have a Neighborhood WalMart--food only. It's new and small and the prices are great. But for other things--I'm a Target girl. Except for a couple of weeks ago when I took A and E shopping for school supplies and they wanted to go to WalMart. Mer, I feel the same way as you when I walk in there. I was worried that I'm a snob, but apparently the sentiments are widespread.

Mirien said...

Hmmm...that last line made it sound that people far and wide think I'm a snob.

Dana said...

Check out www.peopleofwalmart.com for some pictures of those crazies shopping at Walmart. There is one with a lady shopping with her 2 year old daughter in the shopping cart with one of those plastic produce bags over her head. Is she even paying attention??

stacy said...

Totally feel the EXACT same way. Get in and out as quick as possible! I love Target so much its my home away from home. Only two days after being released from the hospital with Gavin we went to Target. I couldn't wait any longer and as soon as I walked through those doors all the stress and exhaustion of new mommyhood was gone and I felt on top of the world!