Friday, December 18, 2009

the tenth night

Here’s some 10 year anniversary trivia for you:

  1. What is the 10th anniversary traditional gift?
  2. What is the 10th anniversary contemporary gift?
  3. What is the 10th anniversary gemstone?
  4. What is the 10th anniversary color?
  5. What is the 10th anniversary flower?

I was zero for five on that quiz.  In case you’re as clueless as I am, here are the answers:

  1. tin or aluminum
  2. diamond jewelry
  3. diamonds or sapphires
  4. silver or blue
  5. daffodils

Well, there were no diamonds, sapphires or daffodils involved in our celebration, but it was still a great night.

We decided to hang out with this trio. . .

image

. . . for a performance of this:

image

“The classic Dickens tale told through uproarious song parodies of your favorite Broadway show tunes will leave you rolling in the aisles! This production is a grander reprise of our 2005 Smash Hit. A Broadway Christmas Carol is fast becoming the new Charlotte holiday tradition.”

image

If you’re in Charlotte, you’ve got two more nights to check it out!

It was FREEZING cold and sleety/rainy outside (the snow is now supposed to be coming TONIGHT) but thanks to my hot date, it was nice and cozy inside the small little theatre in the round where the show was being performed.  The show did not disappoint and turned out to be all we hoped it would be.  When it was over, the weather required that we c0me home and enjoy some hot chocolate. . .

And now to answer the question on all of your minds—why in the world am I blogging instead of spending the rest of the evening with my husband of TEN YEARS?  Allow me to show you Exhibit A:

IMG_0885

I’ve been trying for the last ten years to convert Patrick to my “night-owly” ways.  I was actually pretty impressed with his efforts tonight—he made it until 11:30 pm, and finally passed out while watching Matt Damon read the Declaration of Independence!  (What?  You don’t listen to a reading of the Declaration of Independence on your anniversary?)  Now that he’s asleep, I changed the channel to The Holiday.  (Oh, come on.  You don’t watch a Jack Black movie on your anniversary either?)

Thanks for the last ten, babe.  I honestly can’t imagine how I could have managed without us together.  And I think we make some pretty darn cute kids too.  (And now I’ve got to either carry him upstairs or try to get him to wake up and walk up himself—with the snoring going on right now, the first option might be easier!)

*Stay tuned till sometime early next year when we’ll go on our big anniversary TRIP— to an undisclosed tropical location!

10 comments:

molly kay said...

Happy 10th Mer! I remember coming to your wedding reception with 9 day old hudson! He's 10 now so it is easy for me to remember how long you have been married. We will have our 12th next month. We were supposed to go on a cruise for our 10th but illness and the economy has put us 2 years later with still no trip. With a 7 and 10 year old, it is very easy for us to go away if it weren't for the money aspect of it. We are actaully going to go for our 12th! I am so excited- can't wait to hear where you guys go! Happy Anniversary!

Erin said...

happy decade patrick and mer! sounds like a fun night. i think those anniversary gift guides are so lame. tin? really? i can't think of any gift that would fall into that category.

p.s.- i LOVE 'The Holiday" it's one of my favorites. except for all the pre-England scenes of Cameron Diaz. She is one horrible actress!

The Dahle Family said...

0 for 6? Was number six invisible?

merathon said...

monette-- you couldn't read #6? i'm not sure why... :)

remember, it was late...

Melayna said...

Hey, that's what I did last night! OK, well, I didn't go to a wacky fun show with my husband of 10 years, but I did watch The Holiday, but no one snored beside me. So yeah, pretty much it was exactly the same . . . :-) So we should have called each other and 'watched' the movie together. Can't believe you didn't think about me on your anniversary . . . :-) And I can't wait to hear where you guys are going next month! I love trips!

Kerry and Dave said...

Happy 10th! I can't believe it's been that long. And I love the picture -- too funny! And you know I love that you're going on a TRIP. That happens to be my favorite 4-letter word!

Felice Devine said...

Happy anniversary!

Dana said...

Happy Anniversary! 10 years is quite an accomplishment these days:)

Lauren said...

Great picture. Can't wait to hear where you guys are going.

Marliese said...

You guys are so cute! Good for you to celebrate! Ten years is a big deal. How fun.