Monday, August 24, 2009

a little out of sorts

I got back last night after four days on a kid-free trip to Portland and Seattle for my youngest brother’s wedding.  My wonderful mother-in-law was kind enough to come and watch my three girls so that I could go on this trip and not have to worry about them on a cross-country flight and through the busy weekend filled with wedding festivities.

But today, as I went through just an average day, I realized that I had definitely gotten out of my rhythm.  Oh, you’re hungry?  And that means I need to do something about it apparently?  Oh, Emery needs her sippy cup filled up with milk?  Someone needs a wiper?  I have to be in charge of someone other than just MYSELF?  Imagine what I’d be like if my trip was any LONGER than four days…

Tomorrow is Kendall’s first day of first grade.  I guess that means I better snap out of my funk soon.  Maybe a 5:45 am spin class will help—can you believe this will be the first time I will have worked out this early since before Emery was born??  Could be painful, which is why I’m going to bed NOW.

4 comments:

Erin said...

i am jealous of your four days away. i can't even imagine what that would be like. and a M-I-L that would enable me to do that. wouldn't that be nice?!?!

molly kay said...

It's nice to have time away- really away! I went on a long girls' week-end to NYC 2 years ago and it was so much fun! THeyear before that, Thomas and I went to paris just us for a week. That was a little more nerve racking because we BOTH were gone from the kids and they were staying with friends of ours. It is hard to get back into the routine but once you do, you'll ask yourself "why didn't I go for a little while LONGER?!"

The Dahle Family said...

5:45!? That does sound painful! Do NOT sign me up for that one!

Mirien said...

I can relate. Part of me wanted to turn around and go back. I've been in a funk, too. I just let the house stay messy today. What's the point. It will look like this by the end of the day anyway no matter what I do. But E and A start school tomorrow--he leaves at 6:30 and she leaves at 7. So a 5:45 class wouldn't even be early enough for me. How sad is that? Now when will I exercise? Although I've been on strike there, too, since I got home. What's the point? I seem to be overweight anyway, whether I exercise or not. Sigh.