Tuesday, October 6, 2009

don’t hit the snooze

When is it worth waking up at 4:30 am when you also have an upper respiratory infection?  When you get to spend some quality time with two of your three favorite little girls volunteering at Race for the Cure!

IMG_0120

Patrick volunteered the night before the race by setting up tables with lots of other men from our church congregation.  The next morning, he ran the race while pushing Emery in the jogging stroller as Kendall, Berkeley, and I prepped the water tables and then handed out water bottles to runners (with help from lots more people from church). 

I loved watching how excited K & B were to help, even when I woke them much earlier than they’re used to.  They weren’t grumpy or sluggish—they hopped right up and said, “Hooray!  We get to go to the race!”  When we walked outside to the garage, they said, “Look!  Stars!  We never get to see the stars!”  My two little optimists made me forget about how tired I was and how much my sinuses were throbbing.   

I have to admit that when I volunteer for a race, it’s always a little bittersweet because I am secretly wishing that I’m actually running in the race.  My knees are still preventing me from doing that but I am NOT giving up hope that I’ll be back. . . maybe for the Turkey Trot?

8 comments:

Erin said...

i still can't believe that you all got up that early. sounds like a nightmare to me! :)

Mindy said...

I love the photo! Looks like a great time!

The Dahle Family said...

Oh, man! I didn't realize that your knees were still preventing you from running. That's why I don't run, either--I always get these minor pains in my knees, so I decided to stop while I'm ahead and just walk! And my friend here who's a dietician LOVES running but can't for the same reason (although she sometimes does anyways to relieve stress). You'll have to meet her while you're out here.

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

I love that picture of you three. What a fun memory you made with them! And I hope you can run the turkey trot. Maybe you just need to get a sturdy pair of turkey legs like the guy in the picture? :)

Corrine said...

what fun memories for you and the girls.

Lauren said...

Great memory. You have run enough races to enjoy watching:)

It's Been a Day! said...

austin has a great turkey trot!! i can sign you up if you want!!

Marliese said...

Good for you! I guess we all inherited the same feeble knees--bummer! Was that from Dad? As trim and fit as he is and was, it was a rare thing to ever see him run...must have been the knees.