Why do I love this pancake/waffle mix? Let me count the ways:
- It’s delicious.
- The first ingredient is whole wheat flour--- 4 grams of fiber per serving.
- It’s so easy to make—all you have to do is add water and then pour the batter into your waffle iron!
- It’s lowfat—just 1.5 grams of fat per serving (NO trans fat).
- It’s a good source of calcium and iron.
- You can spice it up by adding fresh or dried fruit or nuts—if you’re feeling crazy, maybe some mini-chocolate chips!
- It makes a good breakfast but it’s also a great dinner when you’re short on time (like tonight when we didn’t get home from soccer until 6:15).
I know there are plenty of great whole wheat waffle recipes (from scratch) out there, but none of them are as simple as this one, and because it is minimally processed and nutritious, I don’t feel bad about using a mix. There’s just one problem—it’s not always easy to find. When we lived in Utah many years ago, I was able to find it at most grocery stores, but since then, I’ve had to search high and low. Here in Charlotte, I couldn’t find any grocery store that carries it. The only place I’ve found this mix here in town is in the small grocery section at Target, of all places!
I almost always add ground flaxseed to it, just to boost the nutrients even more. When I went to the Krusteaz website to snag that picture, I saw that they had recipe ideas using their mixes. One idea I’m going to have to try soon is to add shredded carrots and ground cinnamon. I have a feeling it’s another winner!