Wednesday, October 14, 2009

cleaning up the beans

Patrick was gone all last weekend on a guys trip to the LSU-Florida football game down in Baton Rouge.  He came back on Sunday afternoon with a belly full of jambalaya and gumbo.  All four of us ladies were ecstatic to have him home, and we were enjoying a nice Sunday dinner all together again—that is, until this conversation happened:

P (to me):  So, one of the guys mentioned this weekend that his son didn’t find out that Santa’s not real until he was in 5th grade!

me:  (I didn’t say anything but gave him a look that said, “Do you realize that we have two Santa-believing daughters sitting right across the table from us?”)

K:  Santa’s not real?

Oh boy.  What exactly was in that jambalaya?

8 comments:

It's Been a Day! said...

tell kendall i still believe. and santa hasn't let me down yet!

Andrea said...

so how did you get out of that one or did you have to tell K the truth? maybe pat was talking about ME! i believed until i read an article in my mom's women's magazine about whether or not to tell your kids about Santa when i was in SIXTH GRADE!!

Nicole said...

I still believe and there is nothing wrong with that. Hope the girls understand.

jessie said...

Awww.. Hopefully you and Patrick were able to clean up the beans successfully. :)

The Dahle Family said...

Santa is real--he really is the personification of unselfish, anonymous giving at Christmas time. That's what I tell my kids. And by the time they can understand what I mean, I figure they'll be ready to know all the details.

Molly said...

LOL! I'm chuckling out loud because that TOTALLY sounds like something Lincoln would do. He's done many similar things over the years. Like when I spell something to him and he says it out loud when he gets it. Hello! That's why I spelled it, not as a brain exercise! So funny. Kennedy is in 5th grade and we just had the honest talk about a month ago. It's not so bad...but she's 10.

Erin said...

AAAH! that is too funny. i have mixed feelings on the santa thing. i guess it is because i don't remember ever believing in santa (thank you older sister) but so far my kids believe.

Maren said...

Hmmmmm, I wonder if Santa will bring Patrick something this year or if he just made the naughty list!