Thursday, December 9, 2010

it starts

I knew someday it would happen. . .I  just didn’t realize it would be this soon! 

Tonight, Kendall and I were up until 11:00 pm working on a project for school.  She got the assignment about a week and half ago and she had worked on it a little bit every night since then, but I thought she was a lot further along than she actually was.  Every student in her second grade class got to choose a state to do a project on.  It was no surprise that Kendall chose North Carolina!  She had to write a paper that explained three unique facts about the state and then create a piece of artwork that represented what her paper was about.

IMG_4268

So in case you couldn’t figure it out from her picture, her three facts were:

  1. North Carolina is a state that has mountains AND beaches.
  2. Many famous people have come from North Carolina (two who are represented here by the airplane for the Wright Brothers and of course Michael Jordan with his pom-pom basketball).
  3. North Carolina is the location of the largest home in the United States (the Biltmore Mansion in the middle).

She finally finished writing her final draft and got the artwork finished when I remembered something.  The art is going to hang from the ceiling of their classroom so it has to be TWO-SIDED!  After spending a ton of time on the first side, Kendall immediately said, “You mean I have to do this all over again?”  I quickly came up with the idea for her to recreate the North Carolina state flag on the back.  Much simpler.

Even though I’d prefer my seven year old NOT go to bed at 11:00, it was actually a lot of fun hanging out with her while she worked on this.  I was tempted to help more than I did, but I really wanted it to be hers.  I’m glad I’m not the only one who was having a good time.  A few times while we were working, Kendall said, “This really is a lot of fun, Mom!”  Since she leaves the house at 8:45 am and gets home a little after 4:00 pm, and then there’s just a little time before we’ve got to do dinner and then the bedtime routine, it was really nice to have some one on one time with her.  I’m happy that she felt the same way! 

I’m sure we will have many more nights like this, and now I’m looking forward to them a lot more than I thought I would!

1 comment:

Marliese said...

Holy cow...I am not ready for that either. I like that Iowa schools seem to focus less on homework than they did in NY.

Cute project...