Monday, June 6, 2011

Boston, baby!

Patrick and I just got back from a wonderful weekend trip sans kids.  We haven’t done that near enough as we should (I think we counted that this was the fourth time we’ve done that in the eight years that we’ve been parents), which made it an especially nice treat.

It was Patrick’s five year reunion for business school, so we dropped the girls off at my parents’ house (still can’t believe they are just 20 minutes away!) and hopped on the redeye to Boston.  After a long night with only a couple hours of sleep each, we landed in Boston at 5:00 am.  We grabbed some breakfast (and I snagged a little nap in Au Bon Pain while Patrick did some work on his laptop), and then we decided to go on a long power walk/run along the Charles River for old times sake. 



The weather could NOT have been better. There was not a stitch of humidity the entire weekend and the temperature was in the high 60’s to low 70’s.  It was exciting to be in Boston where the memories of our two years there came flooding back.

Over the next few days, we went to seminars, dinners, and galas with the class of 2006.  I got to hang out with some of my favorite friends from our Boston days but noticeably missing were a few of my ladies that couldn’t make it.  Next time can everyone please plan their family weddings and anniversaries and childbirths AROUND our reunion?


Some of us even took a little side trip to check on our favorite ducks. . .



. . . who were all dressed up in Bruins gear for the playoffs.

Patrick surprised me by turning into a night owl while we were on our trip.  The final party was on Saturday night and was at the Museum of Fine Arts (gorgeous building BTW).  We ate and chatted with old friends and then I dragged him down to the dance floor.  Even though Patrick said he would only dance for a little while because it was getting late, we ended up dancing until they closed the party down at midnight.  And then, some old classmates of Patrick’s asked if we wanted to go to a karaoke bar with them.  Patrick surprised me by saying, “Yes!”  Of course, as soon as they were out of hearing range, he said, “Yeah, we’re not going.”  I admit I was disappointed because I LOVE to karaoke and I just wanted to make the most out of our final night.  But as we were heading back to our hotel, he had a change of heart and said, “Let’s just stop by for a little while.”  I seriously thought he was messing with me, but he was for real!  So we went and had the best time.  I was singing my little heart out and everyone there said, “Why did you guys never hang out with us while we all lived here?”  Well, remember how we had a toddler and a newborn and none of you guys were even married then?  Yeah, THAT is why we never hung out!  We ended up staying until they closed down the karaoke club at 2:00 am.  I know. . . we are hardcore.

And I’m sorry, but I just had to post this picture after the hilarity that ensued when I posted it on Facebook.  I could say a lot of things about this picture, but mostly I just wanted to post it because I crack up every time I look at “Angry Grandpa Bill” in the back row.  I have no idea why the light in that room aged you so much, Bill, but man, this picture has provided LOTS of entertainment!  We love you, Bill—we had some great laughs with you and Rose!


I am so glad we took this trip.  Patrick has been very stressed out with his new job ever since we moved to Denver, so even though he had to work quite a bit while we were there, it was a great break for both of us.  And there’s nothing better than coming home to three little girls who can’t stop talking about all the fun times they had with grandma and grandpa!



1 comment:

Andrea said...

i do not believe that patrick stayed up that late!! but the idea of it is hilarious! sounds like a wonderful weekend away!!